Jan 29, 2011

Dignity

What's dignity to a child? How do you explain the term used to describe the innate right to respect and ethical treatment for an individual to a 6 years old? Well, Jeffrey tried. Let's hear it from 'The' Man.

We were in the car, travelling from home to my mom's place. So, on the way there, we talked about PSP. One of the stuffs that could captivate Ivan's big heart. Can't recall how the conversation got started but I do remember Ivan jeering at me saying, "It's OK" when I hinted that I would buy a PSP soon and it will not be Ivan's concern (read : he will not get to touch it).

[Ivan] : It's OKAY .....

[me] : *hugging Jayden* ... I'll buy for you Jay. (My attempt at making Ivan regretting what he said)

[Ivan]:  It's OKAY ...... I'm OKAY ...

[me] : *continue hugging Jayden* I'll buy for you okay, baby? No need to wait for you to save up (I'm asking Ivan to save for it)

[Ivan] : Ok la Ok la ... Mummy, I want the PSP. *Ivan sucking up to me*

[me] : HHmmppppPPPPpfffff !

[Jef] : Ivan !!!! You got to have dignity !!!!!

[Ivan] : Nhuh??? What's dignity?

[Jef] : Erm .... It's about your face ... You need to have face. Like mummy was *yak yak yak .. Jef was trying to replay the scenario and to make Ivan understand the price of pride*

[Me] : *still trying hard to instigate Ivan to revolt* I'll buy for JayJay, okay?

[Ivan looking lost. Torn in between Daddy and Mummy]

[Jef] : Remember, face? You MUST have dignity Ivan.

[Ivan]: ..................

That was simply amusing. To see Ivan torn in between us and also his dream (the PSP). At this age, he could still forego his ego and self esteem just for the love of his life. :) Wonders what happens when he's 15 and when he's in his first puppy lurve? Hmmmmm .... wonders wonders. Boys, oh boys.

No comments: