Aug 29, 2010

Ivan Turns Five

Ivan celebrated his fifth birthday recently. I must say that this year is the most special birthday as his birthday coincides with his school trip to Sushi King. So, instead of the usual 'bring-cake-in-school-and-celebrate-with-friends' thing, we brought cupcakes and sweets to school for his schoolmates when they got back from Sushi King's trip.

I would imagine that the trip to Sushi King to be fun-filled. They get to learn to make sushi there and best of all, he get to 'learn' to appreciate sushi too. Ha ! Hopefully he finds love in sushi, the same love I have for sushi. Ahh .. Anyway, feeling 'important' and knowing something's coming up when he arrived back at school must have also brighten up his day that day. Jef and I waited outside of the school with the goodies (slowly melting away under the hot sun) and finally, the orange bus arrived.

We quickly distributed the goodies to his friends as some of their parents or maids were already waiting to fetch them home. Ivan  helped with the distribution and shortly after, we headed home. Jef had to get back to work but it's okay as I had other plans in mind. I brought Ivan out shopping. Though we had gotten him a birthday gift, same time when we got Jay's birthday gift a month ago, but well, there's this niggling feeling of incompleteness which was bugging me. A birthday without a birthday gift is just like salad without salad dressing. Cake without cake decorations. Party without booze. Hmm, you get the idea. While it is not necessary to have, but it is the surprise element that could make a child very happy. Who could resist a smile and a hug from a child?

Dinner time, we celebrated Ivan's birthday at home. Blowing out 5 candles for the 2nd time this year and my little boy is officially 5. Happy birthday, Vernie !

Oh, by the way, teacher told me that Ivan won the best sushi competition (wow !) and that moment, I know instantly that Ivan must have shared the same special thing I have for sushi. Umm .. Sushi ...

No comments: